Home » Food Trucks Insurance
December 26, 2023
Dorsal Insurance

Food Trucks Insurance

The Insurance you need for your Florida Food Truck

Food Trucks are more popular than ever in Florida and across the nation. Having a mobile food allows you to go where the business is. This is a great advantage in the competitive restaurant industry. You don’t have to wait for clients to come to you. The freedom allowed by owning a food truck business is great, but it does come with some unique risks. It is important that you purchase the right insurance coverage to protect you and your business.

Commercial Food Truck Insurance – Coverage Options

A Commercial Auto Policy for Your Food Truck consists of many of the same coverage options as your small passenger car policy. We tailor fit our coverage options to meet the requirements of the Department of Transportation (DOT) as well as protect you from possible losses. The coverage that your Food truck requires may include:

  • Primary Liability Coverage – This is the type of insurance coverage is used to protect you in the event that you are responsible for hurting someone or damaging someone else’s property while operating your food truck. This policy helps pay for injuries that may be sustained by a claimant during a traffic accident. This is also the coverage used to pay for a claimant’s vehicle or property that may be damaged during an accident. There are certain state laws that determine how much liability you are responsible to carry depending on the vehicle type and weight. Coverage limits range from state minimum to $1 Million in Combined Single Limit. Our agents are extremely knowledgeable about what type of coverage you need and how much is required.
  • Physical Damage – This is the type of property insurance coverage is used to reimburse you if your covered vehicle is damaged or destroyed in an accident. This coverage is extremely important to small business owners that operate food trucks. Your food truck is not only a form of transportation. The food truck is also a mobile restaurant where you make a living. If the truck is damaged in an accident or destroyed by a kitchen fire it is important that you have the appropriate coverage to reimburse you. It is equally important to make sure you have the correct endorsements added to your physical damage coverage to cover permanently attached kitchen items such as built in stoves. It is important to talk to your agent about all the business property, additions, and alterations involved with your food truck business. This allows us, as your insurance agent, to make sure there are no coverage gaps.
  • Underinsured or Uninsured Motorists Insurance – This type of insurance is used to cover injuries that you or your passengers may sustain during an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist. In order for this coverage to be utilized it must be determined that the claimant was at fault. If you or your passenger are injured in an accident where the claimant was at fault your uninsured motorist coverage can be utilized to pay for medical treatment rendered to you that exceeds the liability limits of the claimant’s policy.

General Liability Insurance

General Liability Insurance is covered separately from your commercial auto insurance. Commercial auto liability only applies to people or property that was damaged directly by your vehicle (They are hit by the truck or are injured interacting with the truck in some way). Owning a Food Truck Business opens you up to liability claims that could arise out of the restaurant itself. If your food is deemed to have made someone sick and they seek medical care this type of claim would be filed on your General Liability Policy. This coverage would also be used to settle a claim where a customer was injured loitering around the restaurant but not necessarily in contact with the vehicle. These are just two examples of a multitude of liabilities that a General Liability Policy can help protect you from.

Additional Coverage Options

  • Commercial Umbrella – Commercial Umbrella Insurance is another type of insurance that is available to business owners. This coverage is used to provide an umbrella of liability over the top of your current liability coverage. Please let us know if you are interested to learn more about this coverage.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Call Dorsal Insurance today for a quote at 786.601.2485

Categories: Blog

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

©2024. All rights reserved. | Powered by Zywave Websites