Insurance Just for Renters
Who needs renters insurance?
Renters insurance is for anyone renting an apartment, home, or condominium (if you’re a landlord renting out a home, call (786) 601-2485 for help with a specialized policy). If your landlord/complex requires renter insurance, we can send proof of insurance to your landlord/complex.
If your personal property is stolen or damaged in a fire, your landlord typically won’t cover anything. That’s why you may want renters insurance coverage to help protect your belongings.
Common questions about Renters Insurance
Below are some commonly asked questions regarding renters insurance.
How much renters insurance do I need?
The amount of coverage needed primarily depends on two factors:
- How much personal property do you have? Taking a home inventory can help you determine the combined worth of all your stuff. Use our personal property calculator to find out how much coverage you may want to start with.
- What is your net worth? If you’re liable for someone else’s injuries or property damage, you need at least enough personal liability coverage to cover what you have to lose.
What does renters insurance protect against?
Renters insurance may cover the following situations, up to the limits of your policy and minus any deductible:
- Your furniture, clothing, and electronics are stolen in a burglary.
- Personal property coverage may pay to replace the items (special limits may apply).
- A visitor is injured at your residence and you’re liable. Liability coverage may pay for their medical expenses.
- Water damages your apartment and you’re forced to live elsewhere while repairs are made. Loss of use coverage may pay for your necessary increase in living expenses, such as lodging.
How much does renters insurance cost?
You can buy renters insurance for less than $1/day.*(See Disclosure) Many components influence the cost of renters insurance, including your location and coverage limits. Learn more about renters insurance cost factors.
Does renters insurance cover flooding?
Your renters insurance policy typically won’t cover damage due to flooding. However, your personal belongings may be covered if the water damage is sudden and accidental and not due to flooding. Learn more about flood insurance for renters.